Re: BSD Protection License

[NB: If you wish to be Cc:'ed please set an appropriate

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Colin Percival wrote:
> Don Armstrong <don@donarmstrong.com> wrote:
>>No. Licenses are interpreted by judges and/or juries.
>
> Judges and/or juries, who are assumed to be reasonable.

There's a profound diference between what you or I might consider
reasonable and what is reasonable in the context of the legal
interpretation of a license. Contracts and licenses that rely overmuch
on a "reasonable interpretation" are generally not well written.

(While Debian attempts to respect upstream's interpretation of the
license, I feel that the license should at least fulfill the DFSG on
its face without upstream's interpretation.)

>>Clauses like these may make the entire license null and void because
>>the license itself doesn't have a atomicity clause[1].
>
> Footnote parse error: Footnote not found.

Heh.

1: More correctly called a severability clause, where the presence of
a clause that is against the law is severed from the license and the
remaining clauses are presumed to still have full force of law. [This
is in contrast to a indivisible contract or license... look at a
shrinkwrap license for whatever legalese is in vogue now.]

>> Again, I strongly suggest working with an attorney experienced in
>> license creation before writing a license like this or advocating
>> that people license their software under such a license.
>
>   I'm not advocating anything.

Publishing such a license could be construed as advocating it...
especially when coupled with the preamble as it seems to be. I can't
stress enough the need for appropriate legal counsel in a case like
this.

> >Just for the record, I concur that the license is not DFSG Free.
>
> For the record, can you tell me specifically which parts of the DFSG
> are not satisfied by this license?

Sure. Because open and closed licenses are not defined, we must assume
that all derived works must fulfill both 3 and 4. 3c) violates DFSG
#3.

Therefore, the license is not DFSG free.

Don Armstrong

--
Quite the contrary; they *love* collateral damage. If they can make
you miserable enough, maybe you'll stop using email entirely. Once

Craig Dickson <crdic@pacbell.net>

http://www.donarmstrong.com
http://www.anylevel.com
http://rzlab.ucr.edu