Re: A possible GFDL compromise: a proposal

    Do you have numbers to back the claim that it is more widespread?  I
    thought only English had the free/free ambiguity enough to create a
    market for the more ambiguous term "open source".

Most of the computer-using world uses English, and the English-language
press is most influential.

In French and Spanish, the term "libre" is used most of the time,
though there are persistent efforts to introduce "open source"
or "codigo abierto".

In Italy the English term "open source" seems to be used more than
the Italian "software libero".  I have seen similar tendencies in
some other countries, but I cannot give a detailed report.