Re: A possible GFDL compromise: a proposal

MJ Ray <markj@cloaked.freeserve.co.uk> a tapoté :

> On 2003-09-22 07:33:48 +0100 Andreas Barth
> <aba+nospam@not.so.argh.org> wrote:
> > Sorry, but at least I understood software at start of discussion more
> > as a synonym to programms, but I'm not a native english speaker.
>
> I am sorry that "software" has been mistranslated frequently, but this
> is not unusual.  Many languages have false friends, yet we do not
> spell out all of them just in case.

And there are more complex issues than false friends... Some words
are polysemic but have monosemic translations.

For instance, "gratuit" is a correct translation of "free". But
"libre" is also a correct translation of "free". And "gratuit" does
not mean at all "libre".

"Logiciel" is a correct translation of "software" in most of the
case. And there's no word to translate "software" in its widest sense
-- probably because nobody in France ever needed that word.

Note that the issue with software have nothing to do with false
friends. Logiciel and software have nothing in common.

--
Mathieu Roy

  Homepage:
    http://yeupou.coleumes.org