Re: Software definition, was: A possible GFDL compromise

On 15 Sep 2003, Mathieu Roy wrote:

> Keith Stephen Dunwoody <kstephen@interchange.ubc.ca> a tapoté :
>
> > On 15 Sep 2003, Mathieu Roy wrote:
> >
> > > MJ Ray <markj@cloaked.freeserve.co.uk> a tapoté :

> > > I do not need dicofr to define the word Logiciel.
> > >
> > > But anyway, the following is the definition of the Academie Française:
> > >

> > >         1)*LOGICIEL n. m. XXe siècle. Dérivé de logique.
> > >
> > >         INFORM. Ensemble structuré de programmes remplissant une
> > >         fonction déterminée, permettant l'accomplissement d'une tâche
> > >         donnée. Logiciel de traitement de texte, de dessin. Logiciel
> > >         éducatif, pédagogique. Logiciel de simulation, de jeu. Le
> > >         logiciel d'exploitation d'un ordinateur. Il s'est substitué à
> > >         l'anglais Software, qui n'a plus à être employé.
> > >

> > > It's pretty clear. You may claim that the Academie Française and all
> > > the  French people use a corrupted definition of Logiciel (it's not
> > > that the etymology would says). But the French language is made by the
> > > French and by the Academie Française.
> > >

> > I think you missed the point.  I believe the point was that logiciel was
> > originally intended as a replacement for "software", but now seems to be
> > more of a replacement for "program".
>
> I think you missed the point.
> I think that it has been a replacement for program from the start. The
> etymology of the word says so.

Il s'est substitue a l'anglais Software, qui n'a plus a etre employe.
(Sorry for the lack of accents).  Doesn't this translate to (roughly,
it's
been a while since I studied french): "It replaces the English
"Software", which is not to be used any more."?

But this is off topic.

-- Keith