Re: "Robinson, Nerode and other free beer zealots" was: A possible GFDL compromise

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003, Peter S Galbraith wrote:

>Fedor Zuev <Fedor_zuev@mail.ru> wrote:

>> On Fri, 12 Sep 2003, MJ Ray wrote:
>>
>> >                       I have not yet got the impression that the
>> >people you name are "free beer zealots".  Rather, they seem to be
>> >"freedom zealots" if anything.  Do you have any evidence to support
>> >your description?

>> 	Free beer is about price. When you get cheaper price (for
>> example, less obligations on the side of recipient|user, when we
>> come to software licensing), you get more free beer.
>>
> 	Free speech is about liberty. Not only about liberty of Free
>> Stuff receipients, but, as well, about liberty of society, liberty
>> of _everyone_ _else_.  Free speech is _not_ about price. Moreover,
>> very often free speech costs you a lot, sometimes it costs you more
>> than absence of free speech.

>So we're on the same page.

	I do not completely sure, because of your next comment.
"Price" (and "cost") here is not only money, but each and every
obligation of the user|distributor as long as "they don't conflict
with the central freedoms"[*]. And, especially, "rules about how to
package a modified version"[*], is about a price as long as "they
don't effectively block your freedom to release modified
versions"[*].

>> 	There a lot of people in this list, who cares very much
>> about cost ("Invariant Sections is clearly non-free"),

>You have _got_ to be kidding!?  This makes *no* sense.

	What makes no sense?

[*] http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/free-sw.html. Of course, this is
for informational purposes only. Nowhere I said, that this document
makes any formal or moral obligation for the Debian Developers. If
any of them believe that FSF is an Evil Empire, I will not argue. I
just e[plain my reason of my words.