Re: A possible GFDL compromise

On Sat, 2003-08-23 at 19:09, Richard Stallman wrote:
> The goal of invariant sections, ever since the 80s when we first made
> the GNU Manifesto an invariant section in the Emacs Manual, was to
> make sure they could not be removed.  Specifically, to make sure that
> distributors of Emacs that also distribute non-free software could not
> remove the statements of our philosophy, which they might think of
> doing because those statements criticize their actions.
>
> Changing the GFDL to permit removal of these sections
> would defeat the purpose.

Richard,

Several Debian developers have claimed that they are working with the
FSF to make the GFDL DFSG-free and GPL-compatible, specifically:

Anthony Towns wrote:
> In short, some members of the FSF have asked for us to give them some
> more time to come up with a GFDL that's DFSG-free before we go all
> gung-ho about putting it in non-free and having bigger controversies.
> Martin (wearing his DPL hat) talked to me about this at debcamp.

and also,

On Sun, 2003-08-24 at 09:10, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> One thing we are sure about, is that, according to RMS, FSF is aware
> of the GPL compatibility problem and is going to work this out, as soon
> as it gets enough manpower.

Since I see no way to reconcile GPL-compatibility and maintaining the
invariance of invariant sections, should I believe this is not the case
(and possibly never was)?
--
Joe Wreschnig <piman@debian.org>