Re: OpenLDAP Licenseing issues

Hi Howard,

On Fri, May 23, 2003 at 07:26:06PM -0700, Howard Chu wrote:
> [...]

As I understand it, the "must" requirement of your license is entirely
GPL-compatible, as the GPL also stipulates that one may not misrepresent
the origin of the work.  The problem arises if we understand your
license to require a specific interpretation of "misrepresentation by
omission".  If your "should" can be understood as a recommendation
rather than a binding requirement, and you are willing to leave the
final determination of "misrepresentation by omission" to the courts, I
see no reason why this license couldn't be regarded as GPL-compatible.

Please note that Debian is more than happy to respect your wishes
regarding acknowledgement so long as we're distributing your code; the
issue only comes up because the GPL imposes contradictory requirements
that could prevent us from shipping LDAP-enabled binaries of many GPL
applications.

Regards,
--
Steve Langasek