Re: The Show So Far

On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 10:21:13PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> writes:
> > No, I'm sorry; I reserve my right to do so on a case-by-case basis.
> I've given a specific case.  Can you articulate why a "you must give
> me your tax return if possible, and costs are paid" requirement is not
> acceptible?

Sure; it's a plainly stupid idea. No one's seriously advocating it,
and it doesn't benefit anyone. Please at least come up with examples
that are vaguely _plausible_.

If you want that formulated as a "principle", as though that makes it
somehow better, I've already said:

] Sending your tax return, or your latest entries
] in your diary, or whatever, to someone random and sending your changes
] to some program to its author aren't comparable. One's never sensible
] or reasonable, the latter's a good thing that we'd want to encourage
] independent of whether it's required by the license.

Which is to say: sending your tax return to someone when you change a
program is not a reasonable thing to do. As such, it's not a reasonable
thing for a license to require you to do.

Cheers,
aj

  ``Dear Anthony Towns: [...] Congratulations --
        you are now certified as a Red Hat Certified Engineer!''