Re: Dissident versus ASP

* Jeremy Hankins <nowan@nowan.org> [030317 17:31]:
> Folks who are providing an ASP-style service generally are going to
> have big web servers and lots of bandwidth anyway; I'm not convinced
> that distribution of source would be a significant burden for them.

Note the "generally". You are aware that you imply, that only such
persons should have the possibility to do so?

What if some small individual wants to start a server doing decss.
Not sitting in the USA another place under the jurisdiction of
the large media-industry, there might be nothing doable against him.
If he has to expose the source, he would thereby importing a
circumvention device to the USA, thus eliminating any chance to
visit the US without beeing convicted.

What I merely want to say by this, is that distribution is not
only a technical burden, but more. (Running a slightly modified
webserver that sends out his sourcecode in Germany may expose
one to liability for example. With the current GPL one can look
at the modifications some months later and test them a bit better
to get rid of any problems with that)

> For purposes of the dissident test, dissidents could exchange floppies
> with patches on them occasionally.

And with any policeman using their photo-prcessing automatons[1] they place
in their shops to communicate secretly?

Hochachtungsvoll,
  Bernhard R. Link

--
Sendmail is like emacs: A nice operating system, but missing
an editor and a MTA.