Re: JpGraph License Question [From the author]

Hi again,

Yes you are probably right. The whole license thing is rather murky.

May I ask you for some advice?

My goal with some kind of license setup for JpGraph is

* have a clear no-nonsense license

* to make the library free for all open source users

* to guarantee that it stays free and that the library is not re-packaged and
   then sold by some other companies.

* to be able to have some means of revenue (otherwise I wouldn't be able to
  develop the library). There are some rather large SW houses that uses
  my library in their products and even if I'm a very strong believer in
  public/open/available/free-source I don't necessary think it should be free
  as in "free-beer". When I go to my local, (which I know very well), I don't
  expect him to give me my beer for free.

  Those companies using my library
  are able to save a lot of developing-time/cost and it doesn't seem
  unreasonable to me that they would pay a small license fee which would allow
  me to continue to develop and support the library.

The current setup with standard vs. pro-license is definitely not ideal
but so far is the only thing I have been able to come up with that
seems, to sort of, work.

The only reason the pro-version exists is that if the additional features were
included as well in the standard version there would be very few persons
willing to purchase the license. Ethics in general doesn't seem to be that
high. This is a comment I had from several emails. I also had my fair share
of mails *demanding* that I send the advanced feature for free *and* give
them any support they may need *for free' . Needless to say those mail is
straight for the bin

Any ides to help me  make a better setup ?

regards
Johan