Re: OSD && DFSG - different purposes - constructive suggestion!

On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 05:39:40PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 09, 2003 at 10:53:28PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> > Fred wants to use a popular free software package which almost does
> > just the job: QNU Madlibs.  But QNU Madlibs is distributed under the
> > QPL.  What the Fred would like to do is make a special version of QNU
> > Madlibs for Joe, with the special details of Joe's contracts.  [...]
>
> Unfortunately, he realises he can't. Thus he writes his own program from
> scratch. Or else he adds a macro facility into QNU Madlibs, or customises
> it so it'll accept contract texts from a data file rather than hardcoding
> it and makes sure that he only needs to accompany it with the original
> contract forms for it to be a useful program. Maybe he does the latter,
> then contributes the changes back upstream so his programmers don't have
> to keep supporting it, and can work on other projects.

If he should have just used software with a different license instead[1],
then perhaps we should be asking ourselves what is valuable about the
licensing of the alternative.

I am not sure there is anyway to reconcile the difference of opinion in
this thread.  Most people appear to be clinging to privacy as a right,
and you don't.  You don't perceive a "freedom" where other people do,
and thus it is going to be impossible at a philosophical to justify a
defense of that freedom via the DFSG.

For me, _The Transparent Society_ might more closely resemble a
dystopian novel than a utopian one.  I acknowledge that your mileage may
vary.  ;-)

(Maybe Debian needs a Fifth Freedom.)

[1] or written his own, or written his patches more cleverly, etc.
--
G. Branden Robinson                |     No math genius, eh?  Then perhaps
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     you could explain to me where you