Re: the Free Art License and the DFSG

On 14 Dec 2002 03:08:03 -0500
Anthony DeRobertis <asd@suespammers.org> wrote:
> > Part 8, I'm sure, will cause problems - it has in the past, but I
> > can't remember in what context; it may just be that some zealots
> > made some hubub a while back that. I don't really recall.
>
> I can't manage to google out those objections (except in one really
> obscene case), and I wonder what this clause even means...
>
> Can I have French law, as interpreted by the courts of the County of
> Fairfax, Virginia, USA, if I sue?

Good point. I think the objections might have been from wording like,
"in the case of any dispute, it shall be resolved in the courts of <such
and such a jurisdiction>".

> > However, Part 2.1 is a serious concern. "You have the right to copy
> > this work of art of your personal use, for your friends or any other
> > person, by employing whatever technique you choose." Reading the
> > original French, this is an accurate translation. As far as I know
> > (and other more knowledgable people should comment), this goes
> > against DSFG #6, "No Discrimination Against Fields of Endeavor". The
> > license seems to prohibit copies for non-personal use.
>
> Non-personal use such as...? AFAIK, corporations are considered
> persons by law. In addition, even if this didn't give permission,
> section 2.2 give me permission to redistribute, which I think would
> cover it.

Non-personal use such as commercial use.

:)

P.S.: Please do not CC: me on replies, I'm subscribed to the list. I'm
surprised you haven't been flamed to death for it already by other
people ;)