Re: Is this a free license?

Thomas Bushnell, BSG <tb@becket.net>:

> > > If that's true, then we might as well go home, the GPL is then
> > > unenforceable.
> >
> > What? How?
>
> Because ftp.gnu.org doesn't require you to read the license either,
> but does hold you to its restrictions.

If you want to redistribute the program then you would have to read
the licence in order to know that you have permission to do so subject
to certain conditions. However, if you don't want to redistribute it,
you don't have to read the licence because there aren't any
restrictions imposed on you by the licence. It's a copyright licence,
not an invisible EULA.

Anyway, we must be totally off-topic now because I can't even remember
how we got here.

Edmund