Re: Linux kernel complete licence check, Q.19

Scripsit "Giacomo A. Catenazzi" <cate@debian.org>

> * Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a
> * copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"),
> * to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation
> * the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense,
> * and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the
> * Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

> But with the long list of action we can take don't include the compiletion
> and distribution of binary. Is this included in "use and publish"?

I'd be inclined to think that compilation is a special case of (very
thorough) modification. In that case the general permission to
distribute also covers binaries (because of the "and/or").

> * The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included
> * in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

> Portions of the Software includes also the binary? Nobody include such
> notices in binary!

That's worse.

--
Henning Makholm              "Y'know, I don't want to seem like one of those
                         hackneyed Jews that you see in heartwarming movies.