Re: Berkeley DB curious licensing practice

On Thursday 31 October 2002 10:58, Bennett Todd wrote:
> 2002-10-31-13:53:24 Sean 'Shaleh' Perry:
> > right.  Now, the GPL *only* applies to the recipient of a binary.  If
> > that binary never leaves my company no one outside my company has the
> > right to the source code.
>
> But, if I'm obliged to distribute my in-house app in-house with an
> open source license slathered over it, anyone who does receive it
> (in-house) is completely legally free to post it to the world.

except most employers have their employees sign legal promises not to do this.
Contracts override licenses, at least here in the US.

As Henning Makholm states this really is nothing new they are just being much
more explicit.

Mail someone at the FSF and ask their opinion.  Perhaps we are missing
something that you are seeing.