Re: LZW patented file left in .orig.tar source package?

At Sat, 26 Oct 2002 20:13:21 -0500,
Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 10:09:34PM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > I disagree.  The DFSG speaks explicitly of the licenses of the software
> > being distributed; software that may be illegal to use or distribute for
> > reasons *other than the license of the copyright holder* has been
> > regarded as DFSG-compliant, even when it was not possible for us to
> > distribute the software in question.  Compare non-US vs.
> > non-US/non-free, for example.
>
> This is only true when the copyright holder isn't the one enforcing the
> non-copyright laws to eliminate a piece of software's freedom.

What do you think about "a patent suddenly forces the charge of use
retoroactively"?

A patent does not need to claim their condition of permission to use
and distribute.  We can't decide whether it has ability to become
ill-mannered license or not at present, so can we decide whether
it's DFSG-free or not?

I think in general "yes". In only case of copyright holder stated it's
DFSG-free, then the patent becomes DFSG-free. But I also agree it
depends on case-by-base judgement.

-- gotom