Re: Fwd: GNU VCG

--- Akim Demaille <akim@epita.fr> wrote:

> James> Dear All, I am ccing you on this because you were involved in
> James> the discussion with the VCG and the uglified sources.
>
> Thanks for the pointer, but I'm going to start with a stupid
> question:
> do we want to maintain VCG instead of lobbying for Graphvisz?

I my opinion : Yes, we do.
Please do lobby for Graphviz, I dont think you will get it untill they
feel threatened by vcg.

There are some who say that GraphViz will becode GPL, and when it does,
I will use it. Until then we should work on vcg.

Also graphviz is only powerful if people support it, if the users have
a free alternative, then they might choose (gnu)vcg.  The issue is that
lots of people are contributing to graphvis, they should contribute to
vcg.

We should parse the dot, dotty and other files as well. Then we can
provide direct competition.

> Did
> RMS
> say something about this issue (the format that GNU programs should
> output)?

He said that we should not output files, but produce results for users.
Dont dump the programs memory into xml, but provide a service that is
usefull. Every file allows anyone to use it. The more you output the
less free software will be produced.

mike

=====
James Michael DuPont