Re: license questions.

On Mon, 2002-10-07 at 17:55, Henning Makholm wrote:
> > well i don't have any problems releasing the sourcecode.
>
> That shows that you have not understood "Open Source". Open source is
> not just about releasing source code. It's also about allowing forks.
> If you don't allow forks, you're not open-source. That's a matter of
> definition. It doesn't get much simpler than that.

it's your definition isn't it ? i mean i got around 10-15 replies on my
initial email and i want to speak out my thanks to all of the replies
that for sure have some good points in it. points that i for sure will
think about before doing my final decission.

but summarized to all the replies i got i came to this conclusion:

a) somehow everyone has a slightly different understanding of
   'opensource' and the terms of 'free software'.

b) everyone who replied me only spoke about GNU/GPL as it's a must to
   have every software participate to it.

i know many replies i got are tied to the terminology and philosophy of
the FSF. their way describing 'opensource' their way describing 'free
software'. but as i initially mentioned there are other licenses that
are OSI aproved. many of them are not related to FSF and probably
describe their own philosophy of 'opensource' and 'free software'. my
initial point wasn't necessarily tied to GNU/GPL. no offense but i think
that it's a bit of a short sight to only speak about GNU/GPL and about
FSF's way of everything. the BSD license for example is also OPENSOURCE
aproved and REAL opensource as in terminology to have the sourcecode.
but they are allowed to change the code and spread the binaries too. it
would sound halfhearted and not true to say that this is not real
opensource (this was just an example).

> Nobody says you must. You're perfectly free to release software you
> wrote under a non-free license. Just don't claim that it's free.

your understanding of opensource is probably not tad better than mine.
reading these 2 sentences of yours give me the impression (i assume this
now) that everything not signed GNU/GPL is not free which is for sure
not correct.

friendly regards, ali akcaagac

--
Name....: Ali Akcaagac