Re: Knuth statement on renaming cm files and Licence violation.

On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 08:48:16PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Right, I understand your distinction between what Debian does and what its
> users do, and it makes sense to me.  I just still would never say that
> it's okay to break this kind of request, although I might say that it's
> legally permissible.

You're entitled to your opinion, and to make all the moral judgements
you can squeeze into your waking hours.

Your emotions are, however, utterly and completely irrelevant to the
case at issue.  We're talking about intellectual property laws.  You're
talking about how people can hold hands and render proper respect unto
Professor Knuth and love and share and make the world a better place.

Such things are beyond the scope of debian-legal.  The DFSG is an
instrument in service of Debian's Social Contract, which is a document
more oriented towards the universal peace and harmony issues you're
concerned about.  The proper forum for discussion of the Debian Social
Contract is the debian-project mailing list.

Debian-legal is happy to stipulate that the freedoms the DFSG seeks to
guarantee won't necessarily be exercised to friendly and polite ends in
all situations.

Now, please, move along, for your observations are off-topic.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     No math genius, eh?  Then perhaps
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     you could explain to me where you