License-fee exemption for mp3 decoders removed?

Hmmmm.... just read at Slashdot that Thomson and Fraunhofer have changed their
minds and now want to charge for mp3 decoders, too (?).

   http://www.mp3licensing.com/royalty/software.html
   http://slashdot.org/articles/02/08/27/1626241.shtml?tid=155
   http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/openletter.html

The Slashdot note also says that RedHat is going to remove all the mp3 players
from RawHide, their next distro, but they give no links and I can't find any
related note in the RedHat site in a quick search.

   The first link seems to make things clear, but I suppose I'm still in that
"too weird to believe it" state.

   Thoughts? May we remove every mp3 player in Sid? What about Woody?

--
Esteban Manchado Velázquez <zoso*demiurgo*org> - http://www.demiurgo.org
No software patents in Europe! - freepatents.org - proinnova.hispalinux.es

   PS: I'm CC'ing to debian-legal, although I'm not subscribed to that one.