Re: User's thoughts about LPPL

On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 07:52:09PM -0400, Boris Veytsman wrote:
>    If Debian wants to declare (and presumably delete from the main
>    distribution) the software under this license, it would be
>    hypocrisy to keep TeX and fonts. I wonder whether people realize
>    that this means a complete disaster for the GNU info system? GNU
>    info is prepared with a program called texinfo, which is basically
>    a special TeX format.

You only need TeX if you're processing texinfo documents into DVI files,
not for the simple generation of info, HTML, and so on. Thus, although I
would much prefer to see TeX stay in main if possible because of the
knock-on effect it would have on the rest of the distribution, it would
certainly not be any kind of disaster for the GNU info system if we
ended up deciding it was non-free.