Re: Question(s) for clarifications with respect to the LPPL discussion

Frank Mittelbach wrote:
> well they do to some extend but not really. The simplest solution for a
> distributor would be (beside informing the authors of articl.cls)
> simply not to distribute article.cls but only
> article-with-recurity-problem-removed.cls (no i'm not really suggesting
> thisas a name:-) and inform his users about the problem and the reason
> for the removal of article.cls.

One trouble with this is that it violates what I have seen of the LaTeX
project goals, of being able to have documents transferred from one system
to another.

I create a LaTeX document on my debian system with
\usepackage{article-debian}.  I send it to my friend who uses pristine
LaTeX.  She has to edit the document to \usepackage{article}.  She then
sends it to her friend who runs RedHat.  He has to edit the document to
\usepackage{article-redhat} (because the security problem was
linux-specific, not debian-specific)

Without these modifications, the document can't be compiled, but even with
these modifications, the output is identical (to the point that the .dvi is
binary-identical)

(I realize that Debian and RedHat could distribute a forked version of
DebTeX, or RedHaTeX with the fix built into article.sty)
--Joe