Re: Question(s) for clarifications with respect to the LPPL discussion

Henning Makholm writes:
 > I'm sure it will be possible to find a way to *allow* a reasonably
 > painless fork without actually encouraging it.

but we do encourage fork!  it usually leads to new good results for the whole
community. but we encourage it in a way that it can be live sidelong with the
rest because only in very special cases it would be something where you want
to swap things completely in or out.

 > This way does not need to be a continuous extension of the usual
 > rules. I think it would be quite acceptable [2] for the Debian side
 > of the debate if the LPPL could say something along the lines of
 > (in human language, will need to be translated to legalese later):
 >
 >    If you want to fork LaTeX you must do so-and-so (remove banners,
 >    change all addresses, grep -i latex all over the source to make
 >    sure nothing remains except in comments that give credit to what
 >    you used as your starting points, rename latex.ltx to something
 >    else {which is acceptable because its name does not occur in other
 >    source files} etc etc etc).
 >    Once you have done this, you will have a forked project which will
 >    so far be completely technically equivalent to LaTeX, because
 >    you're not allowed to modify anything until you've gone through
 >    the procedure. Now go ahead and hack, and watch your karma drop
 >    as you do it.

okay, so far, that would already be acceptable under LPPL; but then what? what
exactly do you want to hack then? what is it what you term "LaTeX" here?

 > > So why is "don't modify unless you change the name first" the method used
 > > in the TeX community to prohibit (c)? Becuase it works!
 >
 > The problem is that it works too well - it makes it prohibitively
 > difficult to do a fork, technically. I'm going to elaborate on this in
 > my next message, replying to Frank Mittelbach. Stay tuned.

waiting for it, Lars probably as well

cheers
frank