Re: LaTeX & DFSG

On 18 Jul 2002, Jeff Licquia wrote:

> > Thanks, but no thanks. I do not want you to have this freedom. I do
> > not want you to send me these "maybe altered" weights. I do not want
> > you to be able to send them to anybody. I abhor the thought that my
> > business associates, colleagues or anybody else might use your weights
> > UNKNOWINGLY. You have the right to distribute any weights as long as
> > you call them deb-kilograms or Pickwickian kilograms -- but please do
> > not meddle with the standard weights.
>
> This is a restriction the Debian Project can live with.

We can?  I guess this is the danger of analogies.  We can live with a
restriction that an altered "kilogram" program may not have it's default
invocation named "kilogram".  I hope we would not accept a package which
specified that any derived work's output may not refer to 950g as a
kilogram.

Here's another analogy:

Would you accept a mapping program that specified that Taiwan may not be
shown in a color different from China?  Even if the authors only wanted to
ensure that all users got consistent output on different distributions?