Re: forwarded message from Jeff Licquia

> If these were the only restrictions (change contact info and change
> the name of the *program*, not the individual files), then we wouldn't
> be having this argument.

The filenames are part of the syntax of the language.

\documentclass{article}

does not mean "whatever article means on your system" it means the latex
article class. Without the filename restriction there would be no
standardisation of latex at all.

However if the program isn't called latex (even if it is derived from
latex) the code can be redefined so that

\documentclass{article}

does not load article.cls but loads article.debian-improved-class
instead, and that can do anything you like.

But this is basically just an unhelpful side issue of the form "I
personally don't like file name restrictions" as you are not I take it
claiming that anything in DFSG makes this distinction.

David