Re: forwarded message from Jeff Licquia [OT]

I don't see how any of this is related to the topic at hand, so I've
marked this OT.

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 02:15:31AM +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> There you are -- you _do_ consider you have been granted
> the True Meaning of "freeness".

No, of course he doesn't.  We're all well-aware that there are other
definitions of freeness; please stop telling us we're not.

> Can't you understand that all LaTeX users I've ever met -- and I've met many --
> consider that LaTeX IS (already) FREE.

Latex users have not been granted the True Meaning of "freeness"; Debian
has its own, and it's freeness under that criteria that's in question.
No number of users considering it free under a different set of
guidelines will make it DFSG-free.

(Have you really discussed free software philosophy with every Latex
user you've ever met?  Even if we disagree on principles, that would
be impressive.)

> You seem to believe that Frank Mittelbach is looking for
> some kind of papal blessing from Debian.

That's because he is, if he wants his software in main.  That's the
entire purpose of this discussion.

> As far as I can see, Frank --
> who is largely responsible for the extraordinarily high quality of LaTeX today --
> is sad to see a schism in the world of free software (TM RS),
> and is doing his best to bridge the gap.

"TM RS"?

--
Glenn Maynard