Re: forwarded message from Jeff Licquia

> Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 03:33:57 +0200
> From: Peter Palfrader <weasel@debian.org>

> On Wed, 17 Jul 2002, Boris Veytsman wrote:
>
> > Note that you do not need to this if you want to change latex
> > behavior. Continuing the analogy, you do have an analog of LD_PRELOAD
> > variable, so you do not need to hack libc.so to achieve anything.=20
>
> But if there was a bug in libc I could fix it and still name it libc and
> I wouldn't need to rebuild all my dynamically linked programs to take
> advantage of my fix, would I?

This is because libc on Linux is LGPL'ed. Now suppose that you work on
a system where you cannot rename libc -- either because of license or
because you are not a superuser. Still you can say something like

export LD_PRELOAD=my.cool.libc-substitute.so

and all your dynamically linked programs will use your substitute.

In LaTeX you can make your own format latex-palfrader.fmt, which will
work exactly like latex, with only one difference: instead of
klingon.sty it will load klingon-improved.sty. If you then use

latex-palfrader myfile.tex

for yor TeX files, it will give you exactly the results you want
*without renaming* klingon.sty.

--
Good luck

-Boris

There is no such thing as an ugly woman -- there are only the ones who do
not know how to make themselves attractive.
		-- Christian Dior