Re: Motivations; proposed alternative license

> I am having trouble finding any file on my system (with tetex-base and
> tetex-extra installed) that is licensed in this way.  What file did you
> pull this license from?

> You should note that tetex in Debian is split into free and non-free
> parts; it's entirely possible that the file you quote is in our non-free
> portion.

wherever it is in the debian tree it is tex.web ie the file Knuth wrote
from which all of TeX is compiled  any tex executable you have in debian
is compiled from that file.

here it is on the master CTAN TeX archive.

ftp://ftp.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/systems/knuth/tex/tex.web

similarly if you have a cmr10.tfm on your system it is derived from

ftp://ftp.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/fonts/cm/mf/cmr10.mf

the first few lines of which say:

% THIS IS THE OFFICIAL COMPUTER MODERN SOURCE FILE cmr10.mf BY D E KNUTH.
% IT MUST NOT BE MODIFIED IN ANY WAY UNLESS THE FILE NAME IS CHANGED!

% Computer Modern Roman 10 point
if unknown cmbase: input cmbase fi

As I said earlier, latex (as opposed to TeX) gets these hassles from
time to time because we are clear about the licence we use.
TeX, coming from more innocent and trusting times, scatters these comments
all over the code, but the end result is the same: if you use tex the
program or the standard tex fonts you can not modify them without
renaming.

David