Re: User's thoughts about LPPL

On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 05:47:20PM -0700, Walter Landry wrote:
> These are nice goals, but they do not make free software.  Debian's
> definition of free software means that it satisfies the DFSG.
> Whatever your motives may be, if your program doesn't satisfy the
> DFSG, then it doesn't go in main.

And that is what it all comes down to.

I also have sympathy for some of the goals of non-free licenses, but
they are just that... non-free.

In all of the work people have done on the LSB, we made decisions
early on to enforce the trademark of the name "LSB" against a written
specification, rather than to make portions of software non-free.
(Given that most of the software was already written and free, it also
wasn't much of a choice.)

-drew

--
M. Drew Streib <dtype@dtype.org>