Re: forwarded message from Jeff Licquia

On Tuesday 16 Jul 2002 9:48 am, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> On a technical point, I would have thought
> that any conceivable change to article.cls
> could be encompassed in a package (.sty file),
> and you could simply tell people that you think article class
> is greatly improved if you usepackage{debianmods} or whatever.

The fact that something is a bad idea for technical reasons is no reason for
it to be made legally impossible. (Insert any number of Microsoft jokes here)

Yes, any *reasonable* person would find this license acceptable in most
cases, but please spare a thought for those that are perhaps less reasonable
- for example if someone wanted to rewrite LaTeX to typeset Klingon (it may
already be done) and this required such a modification - my point being that
there are surely circumstances where one might wish to alter this file,
however outlandish or "unlikely" they may sound.

One of the features of bad technical ideas is that they usually don't stay
around very long. (Insert further MS jokes)