Re: forwarded message from Jeff Licquia

On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 09:48:29AM +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Could I distribute a modified version of Linux without Torvald's permission?

Yes.[1]

> I hope not.

Thanks for this insight into the LaTeX community's notion of "freedom";
I was honestly unaware of this perspective.

[1] Alternatively, "no, but you already have it, because it's licensed
under the GNU GPL, version 2."  Also note that there are many
contributors to the Linux kernel aside from Linus Torvalds, so if
permission to distribute modified copies were not already granted by the
GNU GPL, a person would need to ask permission from a great many people
before doing so.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     Q: How does a Unix guru have sex?
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     A: unzip;strip;touch;finger;mount;