Re: Motivations; proposed alternative license (was Re: LaTeX PublicProject License, Version 1.3 (DRAFT))

On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 10:15:21PM +0200, Frank Mittelbach wrote:
> Will Newton writes:
>  > No amount of license changes will prevent site administrators making their
>  > own changes to their LaTeX installation, and I would hope major
>  > distributors
>
> if so then why bother to license anything at all?

How do you propose to enforce a license that restricts people from
modifying files on their own systems, and distributes only among a
private group of individuals?

> the problem is that prior to LPPL (which is now in use for a number of years)
> many people were not even aware that they do something "wrong" to the community
> and their local users. now most of them are (at least within the LaTeX
> community)

There are more methods than just forbiddance to achieve education.

>  > No, I do not believe this is a good
>  > argument for making a package unfree.
>
> it would certainly a bad reason to make a package unfree. my claim is that it
> isn't!

It appears that Debian's consensus is that forbidding the renaming of
files is too large a stick to achieve your goal of notification of
deviation from a standard.

Requirements of notification of modification in original source code and
in program diagnostic output are perfectly acceptable under the DFSG;
badging or watermarking the generated document while forbidding the
removal of same would not be.

There may be other means of notifying the user that he's running a
hot-rodded component; we'd be more than happy to work with you to think
of some.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    If you make people think they're
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    thinking, they'll love you; but if