Re: Non-US definition

Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Matt Kraai wrote:
> >  * it contains cryptographic program code which needed to be
> >    stored on a non-US server because of United States export
> >    restrictions, or
>
> This is no longer true.

Uh, I agree that such packages no longer need to be in a non-US
section.  But this is the reason why the majority of such
packages are there now, right (note the reason says `needed',
not `need')?

> >  * it contains program code which needs to be stored on a non-US
> >    server because of United States patents.
>
> This is.

What does this mean for users, ftp mirrors, and CD distributors
in the United States?  Can they legally use, mirror, or
distribute such software therein?

I also thought of another potential reason:

 * it contains program code which needs to be stored on a non-US
   server because of the DMCA.

Are any packages in a non-US section for this reason?  If not,
are such packages allowed?

Matt