Re: debian-legal list entry - confidential information disclosure

On Mar 12, Anna wrote:
> It came to our attention that Debian have published on one
> of their mailing lists ("debian-legal") our company's confidential e-mail exchange.
>
> This has been done without seeking our consent
> and we urge Debian to remove the entry and the follow-ups from its
> archive servers immediately.
>
> Details of the thread published through Debian web pages:
> Subject: copyright problem (regarding eemu and compatibles(LONG))
> The web address of the information:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2000/debian-legal-200012/msg00101.html and the follow-up letters ...

I am not a lawyer, but I understand that only one participant in an
email exchange must consent to reveal the content of that exchange.
Unless the poster was subject to a non-disclosure agreement, his
relaying of the information to our mailing list is not illegal.
Furthermore, even if he was subject to NDA, he and only he would be
liable for disseminating the information.

I do not speak on behalf of the project, but I suspect that your
request will not be complied with, especially in light of the fact you
know that our lists are archived and nevertheless claimed some sort of
proprietary interest in the mail I am replying to.

Chris
--
Chris Lawrence <lawrencc@debian.org> - http://www.lordsutch.com/chris/