Re: Legal status of using a GPL'd LD_PRELOADed with a non-GPL'd app ...

On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 09:31:32PM -0600, Chris Lawrence wrote:

> The GPL really only applies when you are distributing a GPL'd work
> linked to a non-GPL'd work.  Using LD_PRELOAD is not distribution, so
> I can't see how this would pose a problem.
>
> The only exception I can think of is if someone distributed a script
> like (lame example):
>
> #!/bin/sh
> LD_PRELOAD="/your/hack/here" /usr/bin/nonfree-application

Well, I'm definitely not going to distribute a script that explicitly
LD_PRELOADs libtrash with a non-free application - if I was going to do
anything of the sort it would be:

#!/bin/sh
LD_PRELOAD="/usr/lib/libtrash.so.0.0" ${1+"$@"}

where the user is specifing the application. At this stage I don't
intend distributing such a script at all, however, people can simply set
LD_PRELOAD in their .bashrc, .xinitrc/.xsession or other initialisation
script. Maybe such a script could go into the package as an example ...

Cheers,

Timshel

--
   Timshel Knoll <timshel@pobox.com>  for Debian email: <timshel@debian.org>