Re: distributable but non-free documents

On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 07:19:30PM -0500, Michael Stone wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 06:12:21PM +0000, Oliver Elphick wrote:
> > If I recall, the original issue was about some RFC documents.  I would
> > have thought it was essential that such things, which define the
> > standards we all use, should be protected from unauthorised amendments.
>
> In which case a license of "if you change this you may not represent it
> as RFCn" would be acceptable, no?

The current GNU FDL draft has a section on "Endorsements" which I think
are a pretty good solution to the problem of establishing authenticity
of modifiable documents.

While I have serious reservations about some parts of the GNU FDL --
especially the aggressive promulgation of Invariant Sections that the
FSF is practicing with some of its own manuals -- I think the license
does have some good ideas in it, and the Endorsements concept is one.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |       The key to being a Southern
Debian GNU/Linux                   |       Baptist: It ain't a sin if you