Re: Requesting help with non-GPL MySQL license

Christian Hammers <ch@westend.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> The mysql docs have, in the recent versions, an explicit note that the docs
> itself are not GPL, although the real software is. Reason for this was that
> MySQL.COM likes to be the only one who may sell printed versions for mysql.
>
> My first guess would be that the docs thus have to move to a
> seperate package to non-free, which would be annoying work :(.

Yes, you have to move them to non-free.  You can't even put the doc's
into another publication.

> Maybe someone of you sees another way or followed the whole DFSG
> vs. GNU FDL thread and knows how compatible both are because MySQL
> would like to put their manual under the FDL (maybe we could give
> them some advice).

If they don't put anything in an Invariant Section, then the FDL is
definitely ok.  With an Invariant Section, the decision is not
settled.  However, I'm not sure why they would prefer that over the
straight GPL.  Even if they put in Invariant Sections, people could
still make a business selling the mysql doc's.

Regards,
Walter Landry
wlandry@ucsd.edu