Re: bnetd and DMCA

On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 10:34:18PM -0500, Brian Ristuccia wrote:
> It's not clear that Debian really uses non-us as a workaround for US patent
> related problems. Some confusion arises from packages like gpg-idea, which
> is in non-us/non-free. True, gpg-idea containscode describing how to
> implement the IDEA symmetric cypher, and yes at least one company claims to
> have a software patent which covers IDEA. But I think gpg-idea is in non-us
> because it is crypto related, not because of patent issues.

I see. I thought non-US was useful for things like the DMCA too.

> > I need to upload bnetd, I'm holding it until I know where.
> If the copyright license meets our DFSG, it goes in main. Otherwise it goes
> in non-free. Unless it has crypto, the it goes in non-us.

Then it stays in main.

> So I suggest you end this thread now and go work on your package. Write
> anymore here and bnetd will simply wind up sitting in incoming forever
> because none of the ftp-masters will want to take responsibility for adding
> the package after reading all of the ominous sounding nonsense on this
> mailing list about how it might potentially cause us some legal disaster.

Clarifying: it's not my package, I'm just NMU'ing. Bnetd has been in
Debian since June 1999.

Uploading to auric. I hope not to have black suits at my door tomorrow
:)

Jordi
--
Jordi Mallach Pérez || jordi@pusa.informat.uv.es || Rediscovering Freedom,
   aka Oskuro in    || jordi@sindominio.net      || Using Debian GNU/Linux

http://sindominio.net  GnuPG public information:      pub  1024D/917A225E
telnet pusa.uv.es 23   73ED 4244 FD43 5886 20AC  2644 2584 94BA 917A 225E