Re: draft for new Vim license

Richard Stallman wrote:

>     > 	2) A user of the modified Vim must be able to see that it was modified, at
>     > 	   least in the version information and in the intro screen.
>     >
>     > The GPL has a similar kind of requirement, but this is more specific,
>     > hence not GPL-compatible.
>
>     I could not find the similar requirement in the GPL.  What would be the
>     similar requirement that is GPL-compatible?
>
> In section 2:
>
>     a) You must cause the modified files to carry prominent notices
>     stating that you changed the files and the date of any change.

The problem with this is that a user of Vim may never look in a changed
file.  I don't think the GPL requires that a message about the
modifications is printed on startup or with version information.  He
would not be aware of using a modified Vim.  It would be very much
desired that the ":version" command says something about this Vim being
modified.

If this clause is not GPL compatible, I would have to move it to the
four alternatives, and allow the GPL-compatible distributing not do
require this change in the version information.  That makes it a bit
more complicated, but it's possible.

--
BRIDGEKEEPER: What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
ARTHUR:       What do you mean?  An African or European swallow?

 ///  Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@moolenaar.net -- http://www.moolenaar.net  \\\
(((   Creator of Vim -- http://vim.sf.net -- ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim   )))
 \\\  Help me helping AIDS orphans in Uganda - http://iccf-holland.org  ///