Re: draft for new Vim license

Henning Makholm wrote:

> Scripsit Bram Moolenaar <Bram@moolenaar.net>
> > Henning Makholm wrote:
>
> > Yes.  Thus if you add code and put it under the GPL, then the GPL would
> > apply to the whole (if I understand the GPL correctly).  So the question
> > is if this would cause a conflict with the Vim license, which would
> > prohibit you from distributing this version.
>
> The point is about adding code that somebody else has written and put
> under the GPL. One conflict here is in the Vim license: Since the "somebody
> else" has not agreed that you can use their code in proprietary future
> Vim releases, I will not be allowed to distribute a Vim derivate where
> I have added it.

I don't have a problem with that.  It's just that it must be clear that
this modified version of Vim (or compiled with a GPL'ed library) has
more restrictions than the Vim license mentions, since the GPL applies
as well (since it "contaminates" all the code it was compiled with).
It's up to the distributor of the modified Vim to make this clear.
Can't do this in the Vim license, it would be too confusing.

One point needs clearing up: 3) c) mentions that the license used for
the added parts must not restrict the official Vim releases.  What I
meant here is not the distribution, but making changes to the official
Vim release.  I think this text is better:

       c) Provide the changes, including source code, with every copy of the
	  modified Vim you distribute.  This may be done in the form of a
	  context diff.  You can chose what license to use for new code you
	  add, so long as it does not restrict others from changing the
	  official version of Vim.

This prevents someboy from adding a patented item and not permitting
others to add a similar item to Vim.

--
The early bird gets the worm. If you want something else for
breakfast, get up later.

 ///  Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@moolenaar.net -- http://www.moolenaar.net  \\\
(((   Creator of Vim -- http://vim.sf.net -- ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim   )))
 \\\  Help me helping AIDS orphans in Uganda - http://iccf-holland.org  ///