Re: draft for new Vim license

Scripsit Bram Moolenaar <Bram@moolenaar.net>
> Thomas Bushnell wrote:

> > Ah yes, I missed that last part.  So it does seem to me that it is not
> > GPL compatible, as long as it wants to reserve the right to include
> > changes in future vim distributions, which themselves might be
> > released under nonfree terms.

> But so long as changes are only included using the Vim license, would
> there be any problem?

>From Vim's point of view, the entire GPL'ed code constitute an
addition (a special case of a "change"), so it is all subject to the
conditions you apply to changes.

If you want to exempt, say, the addition of library code from your
conditions on modifications in general, you need to add language
in the license text that says so explicitly. (And doing so may not
be a trivial task if you do not want to introduce loopholes that
allow people to disguise essential part of their contributions as
undisclosed library code).

--
Henning Makholm                          "What has it got in its pocketses?"