OT: GNU an Operating System WAS Re: One unclear point in the Vim license

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Stallman" <rms@gnu.org>
To: <Bram@moolenaar.net>
Cc: <vorlon@netexpress.net>; <tb@becket.net>; <debian-legal@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2002 4:19 PM
Subject: Re: One unclear point in the Vim license

>     If I ask one of my friends "what is GNU" he doesn't just think of the
>     OS, GNU is more than that.
>
> This appears to be a misunderstanding, because GNU is an operating
> system--no more, no less.

That is comical.  The term operating system (OS) is a
vague term even if you attempt to make the term concise:
http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/html/entry/operating-system.html

The meaning of the acronym GNU suggests an OS, but
many GNU initiatives seem not to be in pursuit of
creating/improving an OS, but an operating environment
-- semantic sugar?  Are these GNU initiatives not GNU?

I would think if GNU was an OS, there would be no
Linux today.

Best regards,
Lloyd

~~~