Re: One unclear point in the Vim license

      What happens
    to me if I am Joe Q. Ignorant User running my GNU/Linux distribution
    with no source code on the machine, and I give my friend a copy of my
    gcc executable?

Under the GPL, this is only allowed if you obtained this executable
with a written offer to provide source code, and you must pass along
a copy of that written offer.

If you got this executable by (for instance) downloading the
executable from debian.org, where the source was available but you did
not get it, then you can't redistribute.  You have to get the source
code, and redistribute with the source code.