Re: One unclear point in the Vim license

On Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 11:27:46PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> > It also does not require that I send the changes to the maintainer.
> > That's the sticking point.

> The GPL requires you to make the source code available to every user.
> That's quite bit stickier, in my opinion.  For most companies that means
> they can't make money on their software.  That's the main disadvantage of
> using the GPL and the main reason commercial software companies don't
> like the GPL.  I always run into this problem when writing software
> which isn't supposed to be published.  You can't use any parts of GPL
> software then.

This seems to be an echo of a common misconception about the GPL.  You
are allowed to use GPL code in any manner that you see fit if you don't
distribute (publish) the result; and you are never obliged by the GPL to
distribute derived works to anyone, except that if you distribute
derived binaries to someone you must also provide that person with the
source code upon request.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer