Re: A GNU GPL question (might be slightly OT)

On Fri, 2002-09-06 at 11:03, Fredrik Persson wrote:
> Is this a loophole in the GPL? If my question above is answered with
> "Jim", I think it is. If the answer is "Jill", it most likely is not.
>
> So...
>
> What do you all say about this?

I say that the answer is "Jim," but that this is not as serious a
problem as you make it sound.  The GPL 3c only applies to non-commercial
distribution.

But I have brought it up here at the FSF, and I believe that future
versions of the GPL will take it into account, by saying something like,
    c) Accompany it with the information you received as to the offer
    to distribute corresponding source code.  (This alternative is
    allowed only for noncommercial distribution and only if you
    received the program in object code or executable form with such
    an offer, in accord with Subsection b above.  The offer must still
    be valid)

--
-Dave Turner
Free Software Licensing Guru