Is no-advertising clause GPL-compatible?

Hi,

I am working on packaging Cernlib, a set of high-energy physics tools and
libraries written for the CERN laboratories, under the sponsorship of Bas
Zoetekouw.  According to CERN, they have put Cernlib under the GPL.
However, there are still a lot of source code files that have their own
licenses and are not copyright by CERN.  In some cases I plan to contact
the original authors.  In others, I may have to separate out parts of the
code into libraries in non-free, or delete unused code from the Debian
source tree.  Still other parts are obviously GPL-compatible (BSD license
for example)  so I won't worry about them.

My question is this: some pieces of code have an approximately BSD license
but with a no-advertising clause, such as the following:

 *             Copyright (c) 1991, Visual Edge Software Ltd.
 *
 * ALL  RIGHTS  RESERVED.  Permission  to  use,  copy,  modify,  and
 * distribute  this  software  and its documentation for any purpose
 * and  without  fee  is  hereby  granted,  provided  that the above
 * copyright  notice  appear  in  all  copies  and  that  both  that
 * copyright  notice and this permission notice appear in supporting
 * documentation,  and that  the name of Visual Edge Software not be
 * used  in advertising  or publicity  pertaining to distribution of
 * the software without specific, written prior permission. The year
 * included in the notice is the year of the creation of the work.

Is this GPL-compatible?  If not, what would you suggest I do about it?

Thanks in advance,

--
Kevin McCarty                Physics Department
kmccarty@princeton.edu       Princeton University