Re: New CUPS license violates DFSG 6?

Quoting the referenced message, for those who don't have it handy:
(RMS)

On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 02:12:34PM -0700, Walter Landry wrote:
> > Could someone fork CUPS and remove that exception from the fork?  I
> > think that would be needed for GPL-compatibility
>
> No, I don't think that is required.  All that is required is that
> there are no additional restrictions above and beyond what the GPL
> has.

As I understood it, linking to or using GPL'd code means the program is a
derived work of the GPL'd code, so it needs to be licensable under the GPL.
RMS's message seemed to corroborate this.  If this is wrong--in which case
I'd assume he was oversimplifying--I'd like to know where.

Would a license that permits--but does not require--distribution of modified
source be GPL-compatible if it also has a clause prohibiting adding extra
restrictions (as GPL #6)?  It doesn't have any extra restrictions; instead,
it's lacking one.  It clearly fails RMS's test.

I suppose we may be saying the same thing, actually, if we look at it
backwards: if this clause can't be removed, isn't it essentially an added
restriction that you can't force Apple to release their source?

> However, it would be nice to be able to revert it to straight
> GPL, since it would make things simpler when combining things.

Agreed.

--
Glenn Maynard