Re: Final Draft: Interpretive Guideline regarding DFSG clause 3

On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 09:13:46PM +0100, Henning Makholm wrote:
> > It implies that accepting them would not be consistent with past
> > practice.
>
> What about the past practise of including the Emacs manual in main?

What about it?

> > "In any event, my proposal does not forbid the grandfathering of any
> > particular package in main.
>
> Let me just concur with Thomas Bushnell's latest comment to this.

Which was?

> > 3) Do you feel the Free Software Foundation deserves selective exemption
> > from the DFSG?
>
> No. Some of the software they produce may deserve it, though,
> independently of its being produced by the FSF.

Ah, so now you want an exception for *software* that doesn't meet the
DFSG, not just documentation?

Or do you mean "software" in the same sense the Social Contract does?  I
assume not since you just dichotomized between code (Netscape) and docs
(GNU Emacs Manual) in your reply to Jeremy Hankins.

> > 4) Is it possible for a work to be neither, or both, DFSG-free and
> > DFSG-unfree at the same time and in the same respect?  If so, how?
>
> Sure, in the same way a dog can have yet not have the Buddha nature.
> Or perhaps not. You must look within your own soul for that one.

I think Aristotelian logic is an adequate tool for this discussion.  If
you disagree, please let me know so I can stop talking to you about it.

At any rate, I think the DFSG is a dichotomous tool; works are either
DFSG-free, or they are not.  If you do not share this premise, please
say so.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Somebody once asked me if I thought
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    sex was dirty.  I said, "It is if