Re: Final Draft: Interpretive Guideline regarding DFSG clause 3

On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 08:55:49AM +0100, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
> >> Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> writes:
>
>  > 1) A copyright holder is permitted to (withhold permission to modify or
>  > remove) (copyright notices) upon a work, or parts of a work, under
>
>  Parentheses indicate the way I'm parsing this.  Am I wrong?  This
>  concerns to "copyright notices", right?

That's correct.

>  > 2) A copyright holder is permitted to (withhold permission to modify or
>  > remove) (license texts) which apply to a work, or to a substantively
>
>  and "license texts".

That's correct.

>  > 3) Works licensed under the GNU FDL meet the DFSG if:
>  >    A) there are no Invariant Sections[*]; or
>
>  > [*] Cover Texts are not affected
>
>  from the two statements above, I don't see how 3.A) follows.  In
>  particular, AFAIUI, I can declare the documentation for a protocol as
>  invariant.  That isn't covered by neither 1) nor 2) but yet it's not
>  being allowed by 3.A).  What am I reading wrong?

DFSG 3.

In any event, the GNU FDL itself does not appear to intend Invariant
Sections to be used for technical content.

It would be helpful if folks would read the documents linked to by my
proposal.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     There's nothing an agnostic can't
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     do if he doesn't know whether he