Re: LDP licences

On Fri, 7 Dec 2001, Colin Watson wrote:

>Could somebody please have a quick look at these three licences?
>
>  http://www.linuxdoc.org/COPYRIGHT.html

It prohibits pseudonymous/anonymous modification, which may very well be a
no-op, but pseudonymity is outside the scope of Debian as I am repeatedly
and consistently reminded by certain nameless individuals (how's that for
irony :)

>  http://www.linuxdoc.org/LDP-COPYRIGHT.html

Ugh, derivative works have to be cleared with the author.  Probably can
come under the AEgis of DFSG 4, but there's the question of what happens
when you can't get ahold of the author?  Historically, requiring
intervention of an author is held to make a license non-free, and I can
see no compelling reason to make an exception in this case.

>  http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/XWindow-User-HOWTO-1.html#ss1.5

NICE!  BSDL for text, and practically perfection incarnate.  If you gotta
push a documentation license, this is the one to push.

--
Be Careful! I have a black belt in sna-fu!

Who is John Galt?  galt@inconnu.isu.edu